Thursday, August 27, 2009

Who's teaching your kids life lessons?

Homeschooling isn't just sitting down with your children and teaching them math, reading, science and history. As a matter of fact, in our schedule there is no math. Nature is our science. And reading and history are combined in a fun way.

Homeschooling means you, the parent, want to be the one to teach your children about life. Not letting them wander aimlessly into a large classroom with 12-18 other children under the supervision (hopefully) of a teacher that may or may not be a pagan, homosexual, or a pedophile yet to be "caught".

Oh, I know, not all teachers are bad. True. But, I'm not willing to take that chance especially when I don't have anything better to do ;)

Besides, you can only ask so much of a teacher who is paid between $30k-$60k to work ALL day with a bunch of children (some prepubescent, some rebellious teenagers, some drugged up, some who have never been disciplined, some abused... you get the picture). I can imagine it's hard just teaching them one little concept, much less valuable life lessons.

I went to public school. Where did I learn life lessons? Where did I learn about modesty? sex? drugs? money? honesty? integrity? character? logic?

Sadly, I learned them from the world (or didn't learn them). Now, I had great parents. So, this isn't a "poor me, I was cheated in life" blog post. I feel that my parents did the best they could with the knowledge they had at the time.

Now that I have children of my own these life lessons are approached with extreme care. You only get one chance to expose them to something for the first time. I'll never forget when Cha-hisser was reading a history book to me and came across the Scopes trial. Before Scopes, creationism was taught in schools and after evolution was.

Cha-hisser had never heard of the word evolution before. When I explained it to her, a confused look came over her face and she said, "that's silly." Yep.

I can't imagine Cha-hisser coming home from school saying, "today, my teacher told us that men should be able to marry men." The stress and emotion that would arise from that situation is crazy to even imagine.

How about modesty? Is that something I'd want Cha-hisser to learn from "the real world"? NO! Please, Lord, protect her eyes!

A month or so ago our family was convicted of our modesty. The Lord placed it on our hearts that myself and our girls would wear skirts only. Wearing skirts has been a huge blessing to our family. Sounds strange, I'm sure. But, it has helped teach our girls about being feminine. And it has helped me be more submissive to my husband. For me, wearing jeans made me feel equal to Einstein therefore I saw no need to submit.

Our family does so many things against the norm (really now, who wants to be normal? normal is abuse in every other household, over-medicated kids and parents, spending more than you make...) why add one more battle? Why choose to be on the defensive when you can play offense?

Homeschooling has already created an unbreakable bond between our family- and we've only been doing it for 3 years. Every thing we do is a learning experience.

My goal is to not have moms around me praise me as being some kind of super mom. HA! I only wish they understood that homeschooling is choosing to live ALL your life with your kids. That's it! Yes, you have to spend a little time formally teaching but trust me TRUST ME, if I can do it anyone can.

If you aren't currently homeschooling, here is my challenge to you: Write down the top 5 reasons why you don't want to/don't think you can/refuse to homeschool. Pray about those reasons. Ask the Lord to place people, magazines and blogs in your life that will either negate or solidify your reasons.

I pray this blog post motivates all moms to protect the eyes and ears of their children. It's much easier to teach them the right way first than having to undo bad influences.

2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and I agree with so much of what you have to say. I love/loved breastfeeding my four (so far) children, I stay home and care for my family, I use cloth diapers (and use your CD blog like a bible), I am very Catholic so we attend Mass weekly - pray together, I had a homebirth with my last baby and plan to do so again if God gives me the chance. I also homeschooled my son - we had a bad experience with teachers at our Catholic School and my son has ADHD which can make him difficult (not impossible) to manage. I enjoyed being his teacher and getting to know him better. We changed schools for my daughter and ended up enrolling my son as well. I am very happy with my choice for now - but I keep my heart open. I found schooling him was a little overwhelming with a four year old and a baby underfoot - and he is so easily distracted that I felt like no one was getting everything they needed. I think it is wonderful that you are able to do ALL that you do, and even though we don't really know each other, I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just loved this post. I don't know exactly how I found your blog, but I'm really enjoying your posts!

    We are in our first year of homeschooling after a horrible experience for kindergarten in public school. I can already see that this is going to be one of the best decisions I'll ever make, but from time to time I still question if it is the right decision and I needed to read this post of yours to remind me part of the reason I made this good decision! So thank you for writing it! :)

    Speaking of modesty in your post also struck a chord with me and my husband and I were just discussing the very subject yesterday. Have you read "Created to be His Help Meet"? Very good book! Straight forward writing about submitting, modesty, etc. It has been such a tremendous blessing to my marriage. Anyway, just thought I would pass the title on in case you are looking for something to put in your "to be read" pile. :) (I see that you all like to read!)

    Anyway, didn't mean to be so long in my comment. Just wanted to introduce myself and say that I appreciate your posts. They have been very encouraging to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I am blessed to have you read and comment on my blog. Please be kind always ;)